Spain

Spain
Matador

Monday, July 12, 2010

Spain continues to celebrate champeones, I visit Monasterio de El Escorial

Madrid continues to rumble and pop with excitement as the Spanish World Cup Champeones returned from South Africa today, where millions of celebrating Spanish fans met them in Madrid for a parade around town in a double-decker, convertible-topped bus and ceremony.  I've never seen anything like it.  It was bigger than a New York parade or an election celebration, or even the bringing down of the Berlin Wall.  And of course with way more Spanish enthusiasm too.  The continue to celebrate into the night as I write this.  It has somehow unified this nation like nothing else has in the past.  Viva Espana!

The Monasterio de El Escorial, is another amazing palace that was built by King Phillip II in the 1500s, and is massive in size, but less ornate in exterior design.  The surrounding area is about 3,500 ft. elevation, and has beautiful surrounding mountains.

I had a wonderful lunch with peppers stuffed with shrimp and fish, a second course of tender lamb, fresh baked bread and Spanish wine.  A wonderfully delicate and moist cheese cake desert topped with fresh berries and cafe late.  Not bad for 15 Euros.  I'm loving this place!
































I had an extraordinary lunch with my buddy Rian and his wife Ana.  Then later, Ana's mom cooked the whole family up a wonderful dinner of tapas: calamari, sardines, prawns and fresh fruit and tomatoes too.  I'm feeling like a very lucky guy!  Gracias Gloria! Tomorrow we are off to Salamanca by train.  It looks wonderful on the Internet.  I can't wait.



















1 comment: